It is no hidden secret that a well-crafted press release, distributed through the right channels is an excellent way to increase your online visibility and potentially assist with search rankings.
However to send out a news release ‘just to send something out that is stuffed with keywords’ is going to end up getting you in a heap of trouble.
We have assembled a few thoughts to consider before you click that ‘send’ button. Here they are.
- How familiar are you with your industry. Many press distribution services, like 24-7 Press Release Newswire, have potentially hundreds of categories to select from when sending out your news. Knowing exactly which categories are relevant to your business is critical to reach the right journalists. This is because in many cases, the news categories are tied to what journalists have registered to receive.
- Timing is a key component. Do you know what time the press release service company you are using disseminates their news to their channel partners and journalists? Do you know where they are located? 24-7 Press Release Newswire has found the most effective distribution time to send your press release is between 3am – 6am eastern for national news and 6am – 8am for a local event. The day of the week you send your press release is also imperative. Our recommended day for distribution is Tuesdays, followed by and Wednesday or Thursday. In our experience, by Friday afternoon, most people have checked out mentally. Over the weekend, unless it is sports oriented, people don’t chime into the news as much, particularly journalists. And by the time Monday rolls around, most people use this as a catch up and planning day. By Tuesday, most people have settled into their routine.
- In the past, we have mentioned that accompanying your press release with a vivid image is imperious. People like pictures. People like pictures. Did we mention that twice? That is because we have found a news release with an image attachment can receive upward of 300% more visibility than one without. At the very least, attach your company logo.
- How well are you tuned into what geographic location(s) are the most suitable for your business and news release? Is your news local to a neighbourhood? A city? The entire state? Or, in some cases, your press release may be applicable to various states in a region. Particularly if your product is offered online only. Naturally, to select the city that is closest to your business is the first obvious choice.
- Last but not least, who will be your point of contact and is this person available for a 3 week period after your press release goes out? This one may seem obvious; however is one of the most overlooked points. We cannot tell you the number of times that people add a contact to their press release that is never available. Or worse yet, they select a contact that is about to go on holiday and leave their phone off. Ensure the contact you place within your press release is someone that can be reached, that knows about the press release and knows the product or service. This person should also be familiar with answering questions.
Although many of the points we have mentioned may seem obvious, there is a reason why we have put this list together. All too often the most obvious details are missed or forgotten about. By following these simple points you will increase your chances of further visibility with a journalist, blogger or writer.Google+